Reflective Blog 1

Honestly, I believe 916 Ink is an amazing organization. I absolutely love how they are reaching out to the youth in order to help them express themselves through writing, while also helping kids grow as individuals. I am confident that writing and art can have such a huge impact on people of all ages, especially kids who struggle to find a creative outlet. As a teen, I too struggled with finding my voice and I did not have a creative outlet. It wasn't until I began diving into the world of literature and writing that I found my voice. I think that's why I am so excited to know that an organization like 916 Ink exists, because I know first hand the positive influence that can result from being creatively express. The many positive stories Henry shared with our class were also heart warming and motivating. 916 Ink is surely helping better the lives of the kids they are helping, and I am beyond happy that they are granting kids the opportunity to grow as both writers, and as individuals as well. 

Literacy is such a huge issue, especially within this new generation of youth who have access to so many technology based things such as social media, and youtube. Henry also mentioned that kids in Sacramento are reading below grade level average, which is heartbreaking to hear. I believe kids are shying away from literacy, and are choosing to spend their free time watching youtube videos or playing video games (my 14 year old brother is a prime example). There’s nothing wrong with watching youtube videos in moderation, however, kids are most likely not gaining much valuable knowledge from videos, and they aren’t doing anything with what they’re gaining. For that reason, I am (along with 916 Ink) needed to help youth get back in tune with literacy. All kids need are a little push to get out of their comfort zone from their usual leisure activities. Plenty of guidance and positive reinforcement will surely help kids become comfortable with being creative, and using writing or art as a new form of enjoyment.

I am excited to embark on this journey with 916 Ink because I can't wait to truly experience everything that they do to help these kids, along with learning more about community involvement and participation in an organization. I have never really helped or volunteered any of time to an organization, so this will be a great learning experience for me as well. However, I am worried about my time management skills, and how volunteering will affect my schedule. As a college student with a part time job, it is difficult to find time for anything. I also have a fear of not being helpful enough, if that makes any sense. I just hope I am able to do a great job with whichever “job” I pick at 916 Ink. I am interested in being a “button pusher”, which consists of formatting manuscripts, and I am nervous about missing any typos, or errors. However, I am positive I will gain plenty of valuable information, and inspiration from volunteering with 916 Ink.





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Can Awareness Be Spread Without Talking About the Cause?

Killer Millennials

Reflective Blog #2